Why Study at Albizu University?
Albizu University offers an enriching academic environment with exciting and challenging programs in psychology, education, speech and language, criminal justice, ESOL, and human services. At our campuses in San Juan and Miami, over 2,000 students from diverse backgrounds prepare themselves to assume responsible and productive roles in society. AU faculty, administrators, and staff actively promote the professional development of students both inside and outside the classroom.
Here are the top ten reasons to choose Albizu University:
1. A Strong Heritage: Founded in 1966, Albizu University is the first professional school of psychology established in North America and the CaribbeanThe university is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education; the clinical psychology programs are accredited by the American Psychological Association; and the Master of Science in Speech and Language Pathology program is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. The Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology program at AU’s San Juan campus received the Example of Excelencia award by Excelencia in Education in 2011, the only institution in Puerto Rico to be bestowed this honor.
Community Service: Under the supervision of licensed professionals at on-campus clinics and external sites, students training to become practitioners in the fields of psychology and speech/language therapy and pathology have provided no-charge or low-fee services to more than 20,000 individuals in the San Juan and South Florida areas.
3. Expert Faculty: Our courses are taught by professors who are both academics and active professionals. Faculty members bring to the classroom a working expertise in theories, research, and practice in their fields.
4. Small Classes: We know our students by name, and understand their needs and interests. Our faculty members are mentors who will help you pursue your career goals and inspire you to become actively engaged in classroom discussions and activities.
5. Convenience and Location: The San Juan campus is located in the center of Puerto Rico’s capital city and is surrounded by historic buildings, museums, restaurants, plazas, and a variety of businesses. The environment contributes to a lively and interesting student experience. Parking lots and other amenities are at a walking distance from the campus.
The Miami campus is located in the metropolitan area of Miami, Florida, a city that serves as the gateway to the Caribbean and Central and South America. Considered the most multi-ethnic city in the United States, Miami is a vibrant, thriving metropolis that offers students an exciting life outside campus. Whether you enjoy people watching on world-famous South Beach, visiting museums, attending cultural events, or dining at one of the many ethnic restaurants, Miami offers endless opportunities.
6. Diversity: At Albizu University, we welcome and respect diversity. Our programs are designed for students of all cultural and ethnic backgrounds and provide a rich exposure to culturally diverse populations through both academic training and applied experiences. Our university is ranked by the National Science Foundation among the top five U.S. universities in conferring doctoral degrees to Hispanics.
7. Academic Excellence: Albizu University offers bachelor’s degree programs in speech/language therapy (San Juan), education (Miami), criminal justice (Miami), and psychology (San Juan and Miami) designed to prepare students for careers in these fields. The master’s level programs in psychology (San Juan and Miami), education (Miami), and speech/language pathology (San Juan and Miami) and the doctoral programs in psychology (San Juan and Miami) and human services (Miami) provide excellent training that integrates theory and practice within a multicultural framework.
8. Affordability: More than 75% of our students qualify to receive financial aid in the form of grants, loans, or on-campus employment.
9. Practical Experience: Through our clinics in Miami and San Juan and our network of external practicum sites, Albizu University students apply the clinical skills acquired in their training to providing mental health and speech and language services to the local community. Program curricula are designed to provide practical experience for our graduate students beginning early in their training